Xunpeng Shi is a Principal Research Fellow at the Australia-China Relations Institute, University of Technology Sydney and an Adjunct Senior Research Fellow at the Energy Studies Institute (ESI), National University of Singapore.
He is also serving as President of the Chinese Economics Society Australia (CESA) and an Associate Editor of Journal of Management for Modelling.
Previously he was the Deputy Head of the Energy Economics Division at ESI from July 2015 to December 2016. He was the Chief Researcher for EE&C at the Brunei National Energy Researcher Institute. Until 2013, he was an energy economist in the Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
Prior to obtaining his PhD from the Australian National University in 2009, Xunpeng had various management and professional positions in China’s leading energy institutes and central government agencies.
His academic research has been published in leading scholarly journals including Energy Economics, Energy Policy, Applied Energy, and Journal of Cleaner Production.
Xunpeng is active in East Asia’s energy community, and a frequent speaker on China, ASEAN and East Asia energy issues and provides regular commentary on contemporary developments in China’s energy sector. His current research focuses on natural gas (LNG) pricing and trading hubs; coal industry policy; energy market integration in East Asia; renewable energy policy, and China’s energy policy and the Chinese economy.
Selected publications include:
1. Shi*, X., and Sun, S., 2017. Energy price, regulatory price distortion and economic growth: A case study of China. Energy Economics (A*, ABDC). 63:261-271.
2. Shi, X., Variam*, H., & Tao, Y., 2017. Global impact of uncertainties in China's gas market. Energy Policy (A, ABDC), 104:382-394.
3. Shi*, X., Variam, H., 2017. East Asia's gas-market failure and distinctive economics —a case study of low oil prices. Applied Energy (A, ERA), 95:800-809
4. Shi*, X, and Variam, H., 2016. Gas and LNG trading hubs, hub indexation and destination flexibility in East Asia. Energy Policy (A, ABDC), 96: 587-596.
5. Li, Y., Shi, X., & Yao, L, X.*, 2016. Evaluating Energy Security of Resource-Poor Economies: A Modified Principle Component Analysis Approach. Energy Economics (A*, ABDC). 58:211-221.
6. Shi, X., Liu*, X, and Yao, L, 2016. Assessment of Instruments in Facilitating Investment in Off-grid Renewable Energy Projects. Energy Policy (A, ABDC), 95:437-446.
7. Zhang, D., Shi*, X., and Sheng, Y., 2015. Comprehensive Measurement of Energy Market Integration in East Asia: An Application of Dynamic Principal Component Analysis. Energy Economics (A*, ABDC), 52:299-305.
His CV can be downloaded here.